Welcome!

Hello! Welcome to my blog page. This page is dedicated to exploring the power of Web 2.0. I will be discussing technologies and evaluating the educational uses of these technologies.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Google Maps

Google Maps offers a "My Maps" feature which allows the user to plot and describe points of interest on a world map so when they're clicked on, the title of the point and description appears. My maps allows for collaboration. The creator simply enters the email address of people he/she would like to have make additions to their map. These people then have the freedom to add to the user's map. Using the "My Maps" feature on Google Maps, the user can also connect points of interest with lines to show a route and figure out the distance between the two points. I found it fairly easy to create my own map of points, however I feel like my 6th grade students may struggle with "My Maps" as it is not very kid friendly. Once a mistake is made, reversing it requires a control click on the mistake and then a scroll to delete. There is not a clearly defined delete button on the screen and if the user selects the undo arrow located on the tool bar, the map that is being worked on is replaced with the google home screen.


Below you will find a map I created which I plan to use with my students. It illustrates the journey a main character experienced for a novel we will read in class.
My Map

1 comment:

Carrie said...

What a great find! I will be using this with some of my students who are doing novel students or even in social studies when they are learning about Early Settlers or about the Civil War.

You should check out the features Google Earth offers with adding Placemarks that is very similar.